Board Compensation Benchmarks
A recently released BDO study on board compensation offers insights into the compensation practices for 600 mid-market public companies.
Some takeaways include:
• Board responsibilities are increasing—and so is director compensation
• As compensation increases, so does scrutiny of said compensation
• Pay for board directors saw a 3% increase between 2017 and 2018
• In 2018, more than half of director compensations were made in equity
• 41% of total director compensation came in the form of board retainers and fees in 2018
The study segmented the 600 companies studied into eight different industries: energy, financial services – banking, financial services – non-banking, healthcare, manufacturing, real estate, retail, and technology. For more details, download the study in full at bdo.com.